Hey hey… welcome back to my keto journey!
I’m over 60 days in, and I am very pleased to report that things are going extremely well on the keto “diet”. It was definitely a rough first month but month two was much easier to handle.
Some numbers for you:
- 1 – inch lost around my waist
- 14 – number of lbs I’ve lost since the beginning of June
- 2 – number of times I’ve eaten at a restaurant and came out of it just fine
In the beginning, I admit that I was glued to my scale, and severely disappointed when I saw weight creeping back on. I gave up the scale for a few weeks and eventually noticed that a few articles of clothing were fitting me a little better than before. I stepped on the scale and was very pleased with what I saw! Then I took all of my measurements again and recorded them on My Fitness Pal.
Here are some things I’ve noticed in month two:
- I’m a fan of white wine but have found that it’s suddenly too sweet. So I tend to be enjoying red wine more because it’s drier. My body has detoxed from sugar, and everything tastes sweeter now.
- While my energy is NOT abundant, I can stay awake a bit longer than I ever could during the first month. It’s been a slow process but I’m glad I don’t feel THAT tired anymore.
- I’m no slouch in the kitchen, but I found that making keto-friendly foods required more time, and sometimes more effort; and definitely more dishes. My go-to for a meal that doesn’t require a ton of prep work is automatically a meat and cheese platter.
- I feel better in a bikini!
- My skin is clearer
Here are some meals that my family and I have enjoyed during my journey (note that I’m the only one in my family who is actually “doing” keto – they’re just along for the ride):
- Buffalo chicken pizza – crust is MADE out of chicken – it’s incredible!
- Taco-stuffed peppers – to die for when craving nachos
- Deconstructed pizza casserole
- Keto Lasagna – currently experimenting with turning into a camping meal
- Pizza-stuffed peppers – not quite as enjoyable as the taco ones, but still good
- Fathead dough pizza – I am pizza’s biggest fan and this really hits the spot!
- Sausage and egg casserole – bakes up nice and fluffy – also freezes well
- Fathead dough cinnamon rolls – they’re small, but sinfully delicious.
- Keto egg salad – with avocados. So yummy!
- Cauliflower “Potato” salad – tastes exactly like real potato salad. I added celery and radishes to make it like mom’s
- Keto Big Mac salad – the whole family enjoys this one
- Keto Sex in a Pan – Oh. Em. Gee.
- Keto-friendly magic cookie bars – I whipped up a batch for our vacation, and made regular bars for the rest of the family
- Sugar-free Jello
- Cheddar, Gouda, mozzarella, Havarti, Boursin cheeses
- Salami, capicola, pepperoni, ham, bacon, chicken
I cannot take credit for any of these recipes, but you can find them (and so many more) on my Pinterest board. The Buffalo chicken pizza is on the board as BBQ chicken pizza – I swapped out the sauce for Buffalo wing sauce because I couldn’t find sugar-free BBQ sauce, and, really, I enjoy it more.
As things stand right now, I am about halfway to my goal. I don’t expect to reach my goal until roughly January, and I know it’s feasible at my present pace. Compare this to not being able to lose even a pound before keto, I’m very impressed with my results.
I’m also not too hard on myself when I REALLY want something not keto-friendly. For example, on vacation, my cousin made these, and I savoured each bite – I had two. I really think that as long as you hold yourself accountable, and don’t cheat like, every day, you’ll be fine.
I am enjoying the process more than I did in the beginning, and I’m definitely finding it easier as I continue. Many thanks to @misseatoketo on Instagram for her inspiration and guidance.
Are you enjoying the keto lifestyle? Leave a comment to let me know your favourite keto meals!